TAKING THE PLUNGE: INTO INDIE PUBLISHING
 MY JOURNEY WITH CREATE SPACE 



From December to September: so what was the big holdup?Genuine nerves! Cowardice! Procrastination! 
All of the above plus a liberal serving of self-doubt. Not as an author or editor or fear that my books wouldn’t cut it simply my lack of expertise/ experience in publishing.  The weight of responsibility. When you self-publish. It all comes down to you. There is no one to edit your final work, no feedback on plot foul ups, repetitions, typos, bad grammar its all the same to publishers such as CS (CreateSpace )   While I was completely confident there were no issues in any of these areas; both  books had been edited &  gone over with a fine tooth comb , still little errors cropped up.  So my MS(s) were read, re-read, & then over it all again.   Most books these days have minor errors even when published by big publishing houses. Even so I both books had to reach my standards.

To say I was fearful of embarking on the first steps towards publishing with CS is not putting it too strongly.  I was heading into unknown territory (it felt like shark infested waters) What if I made a mess of it?   So I- did what I always do, research & gather information. Lots of gathering went on here. That’s where the procrastination came in. Formatting, page size, margins.   I downloaded too much random information ( I was buried beneath a mountain)  before realising it was all there in one BIG document from CS. My good friend Hettie Ashwin who has published numerous books, many through CS gave me some pointers.  She also said it was easy. No problems. Of course she wouldn’t lie to me. Would she? Maybe she had no problems--- I had buckets of them.   Still, I determined not to ask for help. I could & would do this myself. Hence the lengthy lapse in time between deciding & actually doing.  More on this later


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excerpt: A Hint of Darkness

STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD

BOOKS PUBLISHED –NOW HOW TO GET YOUR NAME OUT THERE?